SUMMER INTERNSHIP: A day in the Life of A Medical Student!๐Ÿค“๐Ÿ’‰




 Hello everyone,I'm delighted to be back. I'm sorry it took me a while to post again, I got caught up in some stuvvvvvvz๐Ÿ˜.
 So, it has always been an all time dream of mine to shadow a doctor during one of my break period, but I never took the courage to do that. Shadowing a doctor means being the doctor's shadow in literal terms. It means following a Doctor during the course of the day-to-day work in a Clinic,Hospital or Operating Room. So,I'm basically their Shadow๐Ÿ˜….
  I remembered telling some of my friends about this idea and they told me to give it a trial.So, mid-June, I informed my Parents about my desire to go on a one-month internship after my last exam and my dad informed one of his doctor friends. My dad's friend adviced me to wait till next year,2020, when I will have a longer break. I was heartbroken ehnn๐Ÿ˜ƒ, in my mind I'm like "Sir,you don mean it" .
     I informed my Friend,Tola and she told me, her Dad works in the Surgery department at a State Hospital, not too far from my house. I felt like I had won Jackpot. This was my "Never Give Up" moment. Reality is, things don't happen the way we planned them,sometimes, but we have to keep fighting.

     I had already planned everything in my head, while still in school. I should be home by July, I thought. The session extended into the month of August, due to some reasons unknown, and I finished my last exam on the 9th of August. I had just a month and I had to make the choice to either chill and enjoy the break or use the one month for an internship.
  I made up my mind on Tuesday, 13th of August and called my friend's dad and he told me to meet him at the hospital the next day . ๐Ÿ˜Š What was I waiting for? I informed my mom and the next day, we were at the hospital. He introduced me to the  Consultant Gynaecologist and that was how it all started. On Wednesday,14th August, I started my summer internship and the first doctor I shadowed was the doctor in charge of the HIV/AIDS department, I learnt a whole lot from him . He was so accomodating and eager to teach me anything I needed to know . One of his words that will forever stay with me is "the day you stopped learning,as a medical personnel, is the day you started killing".
    I shadowed some medical house officers and they were all accomodating, they took me as a mentee and gave me permission to ask them any question.
     I'm learning and unlearning a lot of stuvvvvvvz , "Nobody is an island of knowledge". I'm learning the strategies of doctor-to-patient interactions, how to arrive at a medical diagnosis, hospital etiquettes,and much more. This shadowing experience is indeed my "skin in the game" moment. Some of the doctors shared with me, their experiences while in medical school, during their housejobs and much more.
   I've learnt to always say "I don't know or I can't remember" when I'm not certain of the answer to a question. I've learnt to question almost everything, like I said in my last blogpost. And like my mentor adviced me before I embarked on this internship journey, I've learnt to also enjoy the ride. "It's not that deep".
  Never Give Up! It would not kill you to stretch yourself sometimes .Truth is sometimes, the People you adored the most might not understand the reason you carried your life vision so heavy, and during these times,You only need You to support your vision and stay true to it.
I am not a big fan of Donald Trump as the POTUS, but I love this quote by him,"be prepared for things that happen outside your game plan".
Till next time,
Keep being you.
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Adventure: A Visit to Worry Industry

JUNE BOOK REVIEW: Social Media is Your New CV,by Yemisi Ajeojo

IS THAT EVEN A QUESTION?๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ™„