JUNE BOOK REVIEW: Social Media is Your New CV,by Yemisi Ajeojo




Have you ever craved for a food so badly that it almost takes you on a journey to another planet πŸ˜ƒ. -I have, very well! πŸ˜‹.Social Media is Your New CV is one of those books i look forward to reading, immediately the author, Yemisi posted it on her Page, and I finally got my hands on it .It was indeed a great read,guys! πŸ“š.
 I knew Yemisi Ajeojo through a friend of mine and she really lived her book: Social Media is your New CV .
  According to google,Nigeria's unemployment rate stood at 23.1 percent of the work force in the third quarter, up from 18.1 percent a year earlier, the head of the statistics office Yemi Kale said on his official Twitter feed on the 19th of December,2018,and this stats is quite alarming as the rate of unemployment increases year in, year out . As a graduate,a fellow Nigerian youth can no longer rely on white-collar jobs or employment into the corporate world,and this calls for the uproar of entrepreneurship which had gotten more voices , especially from 2016 till date . It's funny how most undergradates of the Nigerian Universities are clueless of what the future holds for them, because of the constant disappointment of not getting your dream job. I mean who goes to school, study a four-year,five-year degree course and ended up with just a degree. Because,that's what the education system  projects to us . "I just want to have my BSc degree, serve and start my business".That's cool, bro!
     I love the tone of Yemisi's writing, its that of  authenticity and her raw, undiluted reality . She emphasizes more on how to improve your online presence as long as you are human. In the first chapter of the book, she said," Think of your CV as a chronicle of your life. A CV is like your highlight reel,a compendium of your bragging right. It should encapsulate what you have built for yourself over time and what value you can bring to the table for your employer or sponsor or benefactor as the case may be. Your social media profile should reflect that too".Yemisi detailed how she got job offers online just simply by having a strong and distinctive social media presence .Though, she studied a 4 year degree course in Accounting Management at Aston University,Abroad , her success and online job offers has little to do with the fact that she studied abroad, because she cited examples of people she's heard of who had never been outside the vicinity of Nigeria,but still got job offers online by simply living the Social Media is Your New CV reality and mentality.
   In the second chapter of her book, she carefully detailed how you can improve your social media presence just by creating a great first impression .If up to till this point, you are uniformed about what social media entails .Let me Break it down ; Social Media platforms are forms of electronic  through which people create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, etc. Examples of social media platforms are :Google Chrome,Whatsapp, Facebook,Instagram,Twitter,LinkedIn,Wordpress and much more. So, in the second chapter,she recommended the use of a memorable and easily recognised username for any of your social media platform if you are trying to get serious-minded people to connect with you and even hand you, your dream job. Its funny πŸ˜ƒ how we ignore some red flags,just because things are not as deep as we want them to be .I know you are into motivating people to be betterπŸ‘πŸΏ, but if you are really interested in getting job offers online or simply improving your social media presence, having a profile picture that says "we move", "the future is female" and all those inspiring quotes does not reflect your image and it's going to give the people that wants to connect with you a very hard time . When I  first got Yemisi's contact, i messaged her and told her about my blog and how i started it, because I heard that she helps promote businesses,helps website and blogs grow and so I messaged her on whatsapp. My profile picture then had one of those motivational quotes and so when she read my message,she responded by typing"sir", thinking I was a man. πŸ˜… .Truth be told, she was faultless, because I'm to be blamed. How could she have guessed my gender, simply by looking at  a quote πŸ˜ƒ.

    In "Writing a winning bio", one of the section of the book, Yemisi carefully detailed how to write a catchy and distinctive profile bio on any of your social media platforms, that doesn't exagerate who you are or comes off as you faking, but a profile bio that presents you to the world in a way that attracts people of value and positions you to access opportunities that could change your life. She also listed hundreds of website that can help you achieve creating the best Profile and CV online.
     In this current generation of instant gratification, where everything happens at a snap of your fingers, we have been extremely blessed with social media and so you can literally do everything online -order for your favourite foods,clothings, and more, call your friend that is 1 million kilometers away from you, get a business transaction done within one minute . But even with all these, you must learn how to use these resources well .Yemisi highlighted the do's and dont's of social media usage if you look forward to expanding your sphere of influence and connections, because as the saying goes " man wey no get connection, no go reach far"😎.
    On a personal note,for a super long time,I struggle with this whole issue of Networking. I mean "who networking epp?"πŸ˜ƒ.But, am not always right. So, i started researching on "how to network on the media,or on a face-to-face level ". The journey to networking has been really exciting for me and I couldn't but carefully read the tips Yemisi gave on how to network on social media( my version; like a king!) which was a hit .If you are someone like me who have struggled with networking on social media in the past or you're still on that lane, this book is for you. Just few days ago, i slide into the DM's of some medical personnel that i consider my cyber mentors, because they have contributed tremendously to my growth process just by following them online, some of them are medical students that have YouTube channel,blogs, etc and I sought for their advice on some decisions am currently making, which i considered the Next Big Move  for me . Some of them replied me that day, and I was super excited . The secret to this was the body of my message, the sincerity! The etiquette! Most of all, my networking skill on social media quickened them to read my DM . ( P.S i don't do DM's on a normal day.πŸ€“).
     I learnt a whole lot from Social Media is Your New CV by Yemisi Ajeojo, which this book review cannot do justice to everything and so, I would advice you check out the book for further details. I checked google few days ago and I've been seeing great feedbacks about the book, a lady tweeted about how her friend got an online job offer from Canada,without having any special qualification,nor did he study abroad.
 You can get the first 2 chapters of Social Media is Your New CV for free,here;
@https://yemisiajeojo.com/socialmediacv/
 You can order for the book,here; @https://yemisiajeojo.com/socialmediacv/
It's a great read,you will never regret reading it!.
Cheers to improving your social media presence,πŸ₯‚✨.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Adventure: A Visit to Worry Industry

IS THAT EVEN A QUESTION?πŸ€”πŸ™„